Mid-America Technology Alliance (MATA) hosts monthly Tech Group Leader meetings to help local tech-focused groups discuss activities happening in the tech community, and to encourage groups to collaborate, cross-promote, and coordinate efforts to build a stronger tech community.
- Jason Arend (MATA)
- Myke Bates (Web Devs)
- Chad Boschert (Python)
- Dawn Frank (ISACA SheLeadsTech)
- Nathan Gregg (Creatives)
- Jason Klein (MATA, H4G)
- Nick Lofaro (AITP VP)
- Paige Oxendine (eFactory, Pitch Contest)
- Dave Sharon (AITP)
- Mike West (Data Science)
- Deb Wilson (Maker Faire, O-STEAM)
Welcome new Tech Group Leaders!
- Dawn Frank (ISACA SheLeadsTech) linkedin.com/in/dawn-frank-cisa-crisc-48b2586
- Mark Garton (ISACA) linkedin.com/in/mark-garton
- Nick Lofaro (AITP VP) linkedin.com/in/nlofaro/
- Recap Recent Events
- YP Forum (06/07) – Tyler Drenon
- Discuss Upcoming Events
- BSides (07/13) – Bethany Young
- DevFest (09/20) – Jordan McAdoo
- Maker Faire (10/05) – Deb Wilson
- Hack 4 Good (11/01) – Jason Klein
- Tech Award Nominations 2020 – Dave Sharon
- Technology Expo 2020 – Dave Sharon
- Developer Conference 2020 – Myke Bates
- Review Annual Event List
- MATA Updates
- Group Updates
06/07 Young Professionals Forum (Tyler Drenon)
- Jason K and Tyler D distributed MATA information about tech community at SELF booth
07/13 BSides Springfield 2019 @ Drury (Beth Young, Sarah Evans) http://www.securitybsides.com/w/page/116970567/BSidesSpfd
- Event schedule has been published
- Several free registration spots still available. Limit 150. Will be going to standby list soon. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bsidesspfd2019-tickets-60675832047
- Looking for Volunteers! Contact email@example.com
09/20 Google DevFest @ Alamo (Amber Gillenwaters) meetup.com/GDG-Springfield/events/261460321
- Looking for conference sponsors ($500-$5000) Details @ drive.google.com/file/d/17DPkUqnFtIFNDbV_hub1X98o3MMXpb2H/view
- CFP: papercall.io/sgfdevfest19
10/05 Maker Faire @ OTC (Deb Wilson) theozarks.makerfaire.com
- Looking for Sponsors theozarks.makerfaire.com/become-a-sponsor/
- Looking for Exhibitors, Performers, and Presenters theozarks.makerfaire.com/call-for-makers-info/
- Encourage your tech group members to show off tech-related hardware/software/products they are making here in the Ozarks by hosting a booth. Cost: Business $300, Non-Profit/K-12 $100, Individual $50, Youth $0.
- Tech Groups that plan to participate: MATA, The Geek Foundation, DreamIT MakeIT
- Promote Ozarks as a great place to live and work. Technology, Creatives, Artisans, Woodworkers, Artists.
11/01 Hack 4 Good (Jason Klein) hack4goodsgf.com
- Looking for Project Committee and Promotion Committee Leaders/Volunteers
- 06/27 Call for Projects Deadline
- 07/18 Pitch Night & Hack Night hack4goodsgf.com/pitch-night/
2020 Startup Weekend Springfield (SWSGF) (Tyler Hindery)
- Will begin planning next year event soon.
- SW recommends lead organizers rotate every 2-3 events. Looking for several new people to join organizing team with intention to help as lead organizers in future.
2020 Tech Award Nominations (Dave Sharon) biz417.com/techawards
- 02/27 Tentative Date, TBD Location, TBD Categories
- Will finalize details and open nominations in late June
2020 Springfield Technology Expo (Dave Sharon) aitpozarks.org
- Looking at February
- Similar to Tech IT Out Expo, which is now hosted by independent group of organizers
2020 Springfield Developer Conference (Myke Bates) sgfwedbdevs.com
- Looking at February
- Rebranding Springfield Web Devs and Combining Developer Groups
Regional Events for Tech Calendar fwdsgf.com
- OKC Developer Conference – ThunderPlains
Annual Event List
- Review Attached List. Contact Jason Klein with new events, dates, etc.
MATA Updates (Jason Arend) matasgf.com
- MATA Memberships, MATA/H4G Bundles matasgf.com/join/
- MATA Website – Job Board
AITP (Dave Sharon) aitpozarks.org
- 09/16 Golf Tournament @ Highland Springs – Sponsorships, Registration aitpozarks.org/golf
- 2020 Excellence in Technology Awards – See above
Atlassian User Group (Matt Stublefield 05/14) aug.atlassian.com/springfield/
- Matt is looking for a local Atlassian User to lead the local AUG
AWS (Jason Klein) meetup.com/sgf-aws/
- 07/09 Elastic Container Service
- 08/13 EC2 Auto Scaling
- 07/13 AWS Security at BSides Cybersecurity Conference
Creatives (Nathan) springfieldcreatives.com
- 06/19 Painting The Streets @ Dickerson Zoo
- 07/17 Creative Spaces – How to improve your place of employment.
- Nathan moving out of area. Resigning after July 8th board meeting.
Cybersecurity Group (Lorne Hazelwood, Shannon McMurtrey) aitpozarks.org/cybersecurity
- Group meets every 2nd Tuesday 11:30am-1:00pm at efactory
- Looking for speaker/program in November
- 07/09 Open Source Tool Exchange (roundtable discussion)
- 08/13 Splunk TBD with Jenn Gruener
- 09/10 Blockchain TBD with Nate
- 10/08 TBD with Sarah Evans
- 11/12 TBD – Looking for volunteer to speak about InfoSec in November
- 12/10 Missouri Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (MCCoE) with Dr Shannon McMurtrey
Data Science (Mike West, Chad Boschert) meetup.com/Data-Science-After-Dark/
- Planning to host monthly meetings. Need to firm up monthly date with eFactory.
- Mike and Chad have met to plan the event
Dot NET (.NET) User Group (Tim Franklin) meetup.com/sgfdotnet/
- Looking for co-leader, especially over summer months
- Need guest speakers for August, September, October
- Have guest speakers for June, July, November
- June – Writing extension for Visual Studio Code
DreamIT MakeIT (Heath Rust) meetup.com/Springfield-MakeIT-Meetup/
- July – Welding
- September – Annual Coffee Crawl Fundraiser – Watch for announcement in June/July!
efactory (Paige Oxendine) efactory.missouristate.edu
- 07/10 Speaker Series w/ Brent Brown
- 08/12 (10am) Cohort 4 Accelerator Demo Day @ efactory
- Publicly announced expansion plans for private offices and conference rooms upstairs. Exploring funding.
- Still pursuing large Construction and Expansion project behind eFactory. May begin late 2019 or early 2020.
- Private offices are full. Contact Paige to get on list or pre-lease upstairs offices.
Geek Foundation (Maranda Provance) thegeekfoundation.org
- We are setting up new Girls Who Code clubs at local schools for the fall semester. We’re also working to start Coder Dojo clubs at libraries and other community organizations.
- We are piloting a C++ learning group for women where participants meet weekly and work through the C++ course on Codecademy.
- We’ve been speaking to Launch Code and OTC about the possibility of starting a coding bootcamp for adults.
- FYI – Paige says Chamber submitted Launch Code application in 2014 on behalf of O’Reilly/BKD/Bass Pro. Danny Perches and/or Ryan Mooney prepared packet and letters of support.
ISACA Chapter (Mark Garton) engage.isaca.org/springfieldmissourichapter/
- Mark Garton replacing Eric Warakomski as ISACA representative
- 06/20 Regional Meeting hosted in Springfield for members from Springfield Chapter, KC Chapter, and InfraGard KC Member Alliance
- 07/18-07/19 Review Course: CSX Fundamentals Certificate
- 08/05-08/07 Course: Practical Web Application Penetration Testing (PWAPT)
ISACA SheLeadsTech (Dawn Frank) sheleadstech.isaca.org
- 10/25 (11am-1pm) Panel discussion at eFactory. How women leaders
Linux User Group (Kirk Coleman)
- O’Reilly Auto Parts is planning to host a monthly Linux User Group.
- Contact Kirk Coleman to express interest or share any feedback, requests, suggestions.
O-STEAM (Deb Wilson) osteam.org
- Engineering Day – Dream Big Movie and Engineering Panel at Alamo
- Hosting quarterly STEM nights. Next event in August. AI and Machine Learning
Python (Chad Boschert) meetup.com/Springfield-Python-Developers
- Coordinate with Mike West
- Combining efforts with Data Science group
SpfdSec Social (Beth Young, Sarah Evans) spfdsec.org
- Group meets every 4th Wednesday 6:00-8:00pm at SBC
- Upcoming Socials at SBC on 06/26 and 07/24
Splunk (Beth Young) bit.ly/sgf-splunk
- 05/21 @ Alamo – Threat Intelligence with Recorded Future
Tech IT Out (TIO) Expo (Heath Rust) techitoutexpo.com
- Tentatively scheduled for Thursday October 17th 2019
- No Updates
Web Devs (Myke Bates) sgfwebdevs.com
- See above for group changes.
- Hack Night – HelpSGF app continues to receive updates.
Women in Technology (Maranda Provance) facebook.com/groups/sgfwit/
- Meetings every 2nd Thursday
- 07/11 (5:30pm) Coffee+Code meetup. This event is for women and gender minorities.
Save the date! Tech Group Leaders typically meet 3rd Thursday 12-1pm. Join the Tech Leader channel on MATA Slack! https://www.matasgf.com/slack
Next Meeting: Thursday July 18th 2019 (12-1pm) @ The eFactory – Reply to Calendar Invite: “YES” to sign up for lunch, “MAYBE” if you are bringing your own lunch.