Mid-America Technology Alliance (MATA) hosts monthly Tech Group Leader meetings to help local tech-focused groups discuss activities happening in the tech community, and to encourage groups to collaborate, cross-promote, and coordinate efforts to build a stronger tech community.
- Jason Arend (MATA)
- Sherry Coker (MATA, OTC CWD)
- Nathan Gregg (Creatives)
- Jenn Gruener (Splunk)
- Lorne Hazlewood (Cybersecurity)
- Jason Klein (AITP, H4G, AWS)
- Heath Rust (DreamIT, TIO)
- Deb Wilson (O-STEAM, Maker Faire)
- Beth Young (SpfdSec, BSides)
- Recap 12/03-12/07 Computer Science Education Week events at Career Center
- Recap 12/05 DevFest (Developer Conference)
- Recap 12/11 CSI Springfield (Middle School Computer Science Day)
- Recap 12/19 Springfield Creatives Yule Duel
- 01/11 Girls Programming Competition in Bolivar
- 02/08 Startup Weekend Springfield
- 02/28 Excellence in Technology Awards
- February – LinkedIn Local SGF
- MATA Updates and Group Updates
Recap 12/03-12/07 Computer Science Education Week events at Career Center
- Organized by Cody Naeger at Missouri Job Center
- Events intended to attract non-tech job seekers to entry-level technology jobs by addressing common concerns and fears about technology jobs
- Hour of Code Labs throughout week
- Technology Job Descriptions Talk
- Online Learning Talk
- Cybersecurity Talk – Lorne Hazelwood
- Technology Roundtable fwdsgf.com/event/it-roundtable-discussion-2018/
- Cybersecurity Talk and Technology Roundtable both very well attended
- Need to find ways to help Missouri Job Center get the word out.
- Press releases were sent in advance, but media waited until day of event.
- Ask people to share with anyone they know considering career in tech industry
Recap 12/05 DevFest (Developer Conference) devfestsgf.com
- First annual developer conference
- Organized by Google Developer Group (Jordan McAdoo) and SGF Web Devs (Myke Bates)
- Hosted by The eFactory
- Funded by Google via GDG ($3K for Event Costs – Meals, Prizes, Audio/Visual, etc)
- Developer Conference (9am-4pm) – 5 Speakers w/ Breakfast and Lunch
- 9AM Breakfast
- 10AM Intro To Firebase: Brenden Reeves, OTC Student
- 11AM Augmented Reality: Charlie Rosenbury & Enoch Bradshaw, SELF Interactive
- 12PM Lunch
- 1PM TensorFlow: Jason Klein, Logic Forte
- 2PM Flutter: Jordan McAdoo, StitchFix
- 3PM CSS Grid: Myke Bates, Eagle Speak
- Developer Competition (6pm-10pm) – 4 Competitors w/ Dinner
- Ruby Fleener, The Alchemedia Project (1st place winner)
- Levi Zitting, Mostly Serious
- Jason Klein, Logic Forte
- Jace Medlin, OTC Student
Recap 12/11 CSI Springfield fwdsgf.com/event/csi-springfield-2018/
- Middle School Computer Science Day organized by SPS (Maxcy Dimmick)
- Hosted by OTC (Ozarks Technical Community College)
- Career Fair and Lunch organized by MATA (Sherry Coker)
- Moved from Jarrett Middle School to accommodate 2X attendance goal.
- Student attendance increased from 80 to about 150-160
Recap 12/19 Springfield Creatives Yule Duel facebook.com/springfield.creatives/
- Holiday Party hosted at 4 By 4 Brewing Company (rental $400)
- 100-120 attended
- Second annual live design competition had 8 Contestants
- Competition Theme: From Bad to Boujee (make a bad brand luxurious)
01/11 Girls Programming Hackathon in Bolivar forms.sbuniv.edu/hackathon.asp
- Organized by Gina Green and Dr Tim DeClue (SBU)
- Please help spread the word. Schools can sign-up their teams online.
02/08 Startup Weekend Springfield (Heath Rust) bit.ly/swspringfield
- Judges, Mentors, Speakers arranged
- Spread the word about Sponsorships (see attached flyer)
- Need to spread word about event so people can save the weekend.
02/28 Excellence in Technology Awards (Jason Klein) biz417.com/techawards
- Reviewed list of category finalists (see attached)
- Encourage groups to promote any members who are finalists. Help recognize best of technology in Springfield area!
- eFactory plans to post an article featuring their clients who are finalists
February (TBD) – LinkedIn Local SGF
- Organized by Greg Johnson (linkedin.com/in/recruitingreg/) and Kirk Baumann (linkedin.com/in/kbaumann/)
- Tentatively planning to host event in Mid-February (e.g. 02/12 or 02/13)
- Kirk says they are still looking for location. Jason will connect him with eFactory.
Mid-America Technology Alliance (Jason Arend) facebook.com/matasgf/
- Celebrating 10th anniversary this year
- Recruiting Sponsors to support 2019 efforts and events
- Advocacy, Community, Education, Legislative
- CSI Springfield
- Hack 4 Good Weekend and Hack Nights
- High School Programming Competition
- Recruiting open Board Positions for 2019 (Secretary, Marketing, Sponsorships)
- Board Meets Monthly (1st Tuesday) 4pm-5pm @ The eFactory
O-STEAM (Deb Wilson) facebook.com/OzarksSTEAM/
- Celebrating 5th anniversary
- 01/31 – NEW Quarterly STEM Nights @ Library Center
- Meeting Agenda: 6:30pm Social, 7pm Speaker, 8pm Social, 8:30pm Dismiss
- JAN – Science, APR – Technology, JUL – Engineering, OCT – Math
- 02/28 – Dream Big Movie @ Alamo Drafthouse
Maker Faire (Deb Wilson) theozarks.makerfaire.com
- Friday 10/04/19 @ OTC – Maker 101 Class for Educators
- Saturday 10/05/19 @ OTC – Maker Faire
- Planning to recruit additional sponsors so we can make 2019 event free to public!
BSides (Beth Young) securitybsides.com/w/page/116970567/BSidesSpfd
- 07/13/19 Annual Conference @ Drury University
- Logo Contest is open until February 27th! Voting in March. See Logo Contest page @ spfdsec.org/new-page-2/
SpfdSec (Beth Young) spfdsec.org
- Monthly Evening Social (4th Thursday) @ Springfield Brewing Company
- 12/26 Hosted Monthly Meeting @ SBC
- 01/23 Next Monthly Meeting @ SBC
Splunk (Jenn Gruener) bit.ly/sgf-splunk
- Bi-Monthly Lunch Meetings featuring Splunk Topics @ Alamo Drafthouse
- 01/15 (11:30-1:30pm) User Conference Recap
- Moved to Alamo in September due to capacity at Frisco Building.
- We learned that Jenn is one of 60 Splunk trust members! She is one of only 6 women Splunk trust members.
- Area Splunk Users include Bass Pro, Jack Henry, Springfield Public Schools
AITP Cybersecurity Group (Lorne Hazelwood) aitpozarks.org
- Monthly Lunch Meetings (2nd Tuesday) featuring Cybersecurity Topics @ eFactory
- Free meetings open to technology community. Bring your own lunch. Focusing on Privacy in Q1. Meeting Topics–
- 01/08 Philosophical talk on Privacy with Lorne Hazelwood
- 02/12 Bob Graham speaking about Missouri Public Breaches in February
- 03/12 VPN w/ Scott Crawford w/ Evangel
- 04/09 Sarah Evans – Phone Carrier Privacy Policies
AITP of the Ozarks (Jason Klein) aitpozarks.org
- Monthly Lunch Meetings (3rd Wednesday) featuring IT Topics @ Hilton Garden Inn
- Marketing launched a new WordPress website. Intention is to simplify event registration compared to old website (StarChapter) event registration process.
- Q1 Topics Published on new website and Facebook
- Monthly IT Leadership Group (http://aitpozarks.org/it-leadership) and Cybersecurity Group are both very active. AITP membership NOT required. Learn more on website.
- Soliciting Sponsors for 2019 Excellence in Technology Awards (see attached)
- Filled Secretary (Hollis Presley) and Treasurer (Bob Graham) positions for 2019-2020
- Recruiting new Membership Chair. Randy Baker recently submitted resignation after changing to non-IT job.
DreamIT MakeIT (Heath Rust) meetup.com/Springfield-MakeIT-Meetup/
- Monthly Evening Meetings featuring Maker Topics @ The Library Center
- No meeting 01/03 (speaker cancelled). Next meeting 02/07.
- Speaker Idea – Christina Wilkins @ Pipkin Middle School
- Speaker Idea – Deb Wilson has a suggestion she will send offline
- Now collaborating with Springfield Tool Library – Makers can rent tools for free!
Springfield Creatives springfieldcreatives.com
- 01/17 Thursday @ The eFactory – Joyce King Thomas CCO @ McCain NY
- New York ad agency. From Springfield. Spoke at Spin66
- Campaigns include MasterCard “Priceless” and Staples “Easy Button”
- SGFC board seats have been filled
The eFactory (Paige Oxendine) efactory.missouristate.edu/events/
- Hiring Technology & Commercialization Specialist to join business consultant team. INFO efactory.missouristate.edu/were-hiring-technology-commercialization-specialist/
- Accelerator applications are open for Cohort 4 until 02/28. Details @ efactory.missouristate.edu/be-part-of-cohort-4-of-efactory-accelerator/
- Many events and programs in 2019! Calendar @ efactory.missouristate.edu/events/
1 Million Cups (Nathan Gregg) 1millioncups.com/springfield
- No weekly meetings over holidays. Meetings resume on January 9th.
- 02/13 – Celebrating 5th anniversary. Hosting expo open for past presenters and community supporters. Keynote Speaker will be Jack Stack. First round of booths open to regular attendees. Second round open in a few weeks.
Save the date! Tech Group Leaders typically meet 3rd Thursday 12-1pm. Join the Tech Leader channel on MATA Slack! Request an Invite @ https://matasgf-slack.herokuapp.com
Next Meeting: Thursday January 17th 2019 (12-1pm) @ The eFactory – Refer to Calendar Invite: “YES” to sign-up for lunch, “MAYBE” if you are bringing your own lunch.